This blog talks you through setting up your sharepoint site, so that it is ready to deploy your external content types. With my Parent Teacher Interview System, I like to prepare my interview system so that there is no noise on any of the sharepoint pages. We have to remember that parents who book interviews have very little knowledge of the sharepoint site, and do not use it everyday. I therefore take everything out so that parents can not get lost.
You need to create three sites for the Parent Teacher Interview System
1. Parent Bookings – I have hidden this menu item, so you can not see this below. This is where parents make interview bookings.
2. P_T Interviews – Teacher View This is where all the bookings will be made by parents.
3. Administration of P-T Interviews. Here administration staff will manage all aspects of the System ie. delete any interviews that will not be conducted. Admin staff also have the capacity to make bookings by phone should parents have technical difficulties.
On each, I have 2 -3 web parts depending on the site:
1. Links Web Part
2. Silverlight Media Player – I used Camtasia to build the ‘help video’.
3. The web part to hold the external content type.
I felt that it was important to make the sites as clean as possible. I therefore have hidden / deleted all options on the left hand side menu bar. There are two ways to do this. You can use sharepoint designer if you like. An easier way to clean up this menu is to go to the site option -> Navigation and hide /delete the options. **Don’t forget to set the permissions for each site, so that only the right audiences can only see the site.
The next part of the blog sets up: 1. Secure Store Services